If you have ever seen the wonderful movie, 10 Things I Hate About You with Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles, you would know that we all have hate/love feelings for guys. Being my third year at college I have come to the conclusion that society has changed the expectations for females, especially in college. Many people, mostly from the older generation like to say things like, “college is a place where you find your husband”, or “college is the best years to date”. I don’t know if it’s just me but I hate when people say those comments to me. Romantic or drama movies like the movie, 10 Things I Hate About You leaves female viewers to perceive all the scenarios within the movie to be a part of reality. At least until they experience reality for themselves. This post is just me, a college female student who thinks she is speaking out for the rest of the girls that are just fed up with guys.
10 Things I (College Girls) Hate About You (College Boys):
1. I hate that you never ask me out on a date. In fact, I have never been asked out on a date. I have been asked to “Netflix and chill”, but to me that is just a cheap way to try and get into my pants. Instead of manning up and growing some balls and ask a girl out on a date, you rather spend the time trying to chase after an easy outcome. Or maybe you are just cheap? If you are cheap, most likely it’s because you rather spend all of your money on booze and weed. You don’t even need to have money to ask a girl out on a date. You can take a girl out for a stroll in the park, but what do I know. Maybe you are too shy or nervous to ask out a girl on a date. If that is the case, just think of the next guy who will ask her out on a date when it could have simply been you. Girls might wait, but we don’t wait forever because we know what we are worth.
2. What ever happened to romancing? Guys shouldn’t be ashamed to show the way they feel for their girl or the girl that he’s interested in. It’s not called being “whipped”, it’s called showing that you care. A guy should do the little things, like holding the door open for you, opening the car door, taking you out to dinner or an actual date. If you ask your grandparents what they did for each other when they were dating you would be shocked. My grandparents were very poor but they still went out on dates. They went for a stroll in the park, go to the beach, or would have a picnic. I don’t think us girls are asking for much, we just care about the little things. Like, instead of texting to hang out try calling her. My grandma taught me that if you are walking down a street with a boy and he doesn’t walk on the side closer to the cars to drop him, because a gentleman always protects his girl. We aren’t necessarily asking for that small of gestures but holding the door open so it doesn’t slam in our faces would be nice.
3. This is college, learn to act more maturely. It’s a known fact that most girls mature faster than boys. But honestly you are in college now! We want a man not a silly boy. We want a man we can goof off with and have a playful time with but we want a man who is serious about their future and career. I am not saying that girls are all mature because we definitely have our moments when we are just a silly girl. We all just need to know when to grow up. So, if a girl tells you that you are immature, well boy you better shape up and try becoming a man, or you might end up losing out.
4. If you don’t like her, tell her and stop leading her on! A girl over-analyzes everything. If you flirt with her, compliment her, and act like you are interested in her than don’t act confused when you find out that she likes you. If you don’t like her, let her know instead of just leading her on. Trust me, she will respect you more for telling her the truth.
5. Effort is key. If you don’t put any effort in, than why should we? I have come to the conclusion that society is now ran by women. Women are taking more control, in their relationships. I’m not complaining or anything but I am old fashioned and still think the first move should be made by the guy. Initiating a relationship should be done by the guy, not the girl. Really guys, who do you want to wear the pants in the relationship?
6. Stop being pigs. Girls never know if you are showing interest because you genuinely like them or if you just want to get into her pants. At parties or at clubs a guy will show a lot of interest in you, a girl’s first thought is “Oh great, he thinks he’s going to get laid tonight,” but some girls think “Wow, he really must like me. Hopefully he calls me tomorrow,” and when he doesn’t she will spend the next day thinking what went wrong. Do guys think like that or is it just the mind of a girl who actually cares about what went wrong?
7. There’s a difference between catcalling and flirting. Trust me ladies that when I say to NOT date a guy who catcalled you for your first encounter with him. Hence #6, he is a pig. Guys who catcall, see women as a piece of meat, an object to objectify. Even if he is cute, you are worth more than a catcall. Just think a guy who lacks that much disrespect for you to catcall in front of others, imagine the kind of disrespect you would get if you ended up in a relationship with him. I can bet in the relationship it would definitely be one sided. Always have respect for yourself.
8. We don’t have time for hints and games. Most women I find them to be aggressive in what they want. When we want something, we want it now. Who could blame us? Men might say women play more games than men do, if that’s the case it is because we are trying to keep up with your silly games. We meet a guy somewhere, they ask for our number and then they never call you. And if they do its a week later. Nobody has time for that.
9. Don’t pull that double standards crap. If you want a girl to give you all of her attention but then you are trying to get attention from other girls, don’t get upset if she does the same. There is nothing a girl hates more than when a guy tells her she can’t do something but goes and does it himself. I hope all guys realize, that we do not need you and your double standards. Learn how to talk about the situation, if you feel like she is not giving you enough attention or giving too much talk to her rather than seeking attention from another girl. Like my mom always says, “treat others the way you want to be treated.” Don’t do something that you would’t want your significant other doing.
10. Don’t expect sex after giving a girl 10 minutes of your undivided attention. Put in work! If she can tell you care for her more than just a hookup, you might find yourself ending up with something much more and beneficial to you than what you were going for, just a “hookup.”